Monday, 5 September 2011

Buckinghamshire Railway

As I mentioned in my last post, we came back from Cornwall with some money left over in the saving account and last weekend we went to the Buckinghamshire Railway near Aylesbury, this is a steam railway, run by volunteers as a charity and has a number of engines being restored as well as others running on the track. We managed to get a deal on the entry costs and took a picnic. The only other costs was a book for T from the second hand book shop - a Thomas the tank engine book.
T liked the idea of being a train driver, like the Jones the steam from Ivor the engine, does anyone else know these stories, T loves them.
This engine was from South Africa and was huge!
Of course, we went for a ride.
There was also a vintage vehicle rally going on as well.
I love Morris Minors.
This Buick was incredible.
There were also lots of great vintage motorbikes. This Norton was my favourite.
There was also this showmans van at the centre.
I tried to get a shot of the interior of the van, its amazing how much was crammed into these vans.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures. I remember doing similar outings with my kids when they were T`s age.
    And, of course my boys loved Thomas the tank stories, too. We visited the Bluebell railway, as that was closest to us. Steam trains are fun for boys that age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be Quainton? we used to go there a lot when we lived at Waddesdon.
    T looks like a character, it's a lovely age isn't it.
    Glad you had a lovely time down in Cornwall, we're off to Port Isaac soon, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, my little grandson would have loved it there, with all the trains, old cars and motorcycles. He loves Thomas the Tank Engine but, yes, I remember Ivor the Engine. My husband used to read the books to my two daughters when they were younger. Glad you had a good day out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the showman's van and the tiddly range. I bet it was a great day out.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete