Monday, 12 September 2011

back to reality

Well it is back to the comfortable routine of school and work. Autumn has been knocking on the door for a while and now its well and truly come in. The trees locally are all well on the way of their change to warm and rich autumn colours and T has already begun collecting lots of conkers, its one of his favourite autumn past times. I have mentioned before on my other blog that autumn is my favourite season, partly as all our birthdays fall in autumn. This year T has talked consistently about wanting to see dinosaurs so we will be paying a trip to the Natural History Museum for his birthday. We are sourcing the cheapest rail prices and the museum is free. We will take a picnic and hopefully it will not be expensive.

We are still on our path to try to keep saving and live as frugally as possible. In the coming months, I plan to put some money aside for the car tax which is due in October as well as Christmas, never too early to mention it!! I was very pleased this week as I managed to get the shopping in for £40, which has been unheard of recently, I have struggled to get it below £45, which I think is due to the rising cost of food. We recently filled the freezer and this does indeed help to keep costs down. I also got a 6p off a litre of fuel voucher and when I did fill up I had accrued enough points to get a £5 food voucher. I will buy a fivers worth of extra food this week. What I now need is some way of being able to pay all our outgoings and the debts quickly as well as being able to both pay into a pension, which is something we are not doing at the moment. This does worry us both, but we can not seem to find a way forward in this respect. We want to pay off the debts as quickly as possible, but losing more income to the pensions mean a longer time to clear the debts. Not sure what to do, I know we need pensions, but the way things are going we will have to work beyond 65 anyway!!

5 comments:

  1. Don't lose sight of your dreams, no matter how hard you struggle to keep afloat. I am not a financial whiz but pick up a lot of info from the MSE forum. Many people say that it makes sense to get rid of your debts first before you start saving for the future. I tend to lean towards that line of thinking myself, why pay interest and line someone elses pocket.

    No one can predict what will happen with pensions, people have lost their lifetime savings in pensions that have collapsed, personally I don't trust them.

    Sometimes we cannot change external influences in our lives, but we can change how we deal with them. We might feel very sad that we can't afford to spend a lot of money on going out, so we look for something else to do which involves parting with very little money, but which gives us just as much pleasure.

    My simple lifestyle suits me, I have no savings, no debt apart from a small mortgage, I live on a state pension plus a very small top up pension, and I have no worries.

    Beautiful picture, beautiful little boy, beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilona is right. Hang on in there. Things will eventually resolve themselves. Hold on to that dream about moving to the sea. Our dreams keep us going when times are tuff.
    Best wishes,
    Sarina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your header photo and your gorgeous little boy! Yes, I think we can say that summer has been and gone! I agree with the others, just keep keep hanging on in there. Things WILL get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, food just keeps going up and up at the moment!
    And don't get me started on our fuel bill estimate for next year! £40 per week!!

    I can't think of any suggestion to help you out about your pensions. That's a hard one. But as you say, it's probably best geting the debt down first, then sorting it out...

    Have a happy weekend though :o)

    ReplyDelete